Listening: Treasure Island Music Festival | Viceroy – Gorgon City – Run The Jewels – Cashmere Cat – Hudson Mohawke – Big Grams – Deadmau5
Treasure Island just kills it. This two-day weekend festival has never disappointed. Located on Treasure Island, a short bus or cab ride from San Francisco, the things that might annoy you or ruin part of your experience at other music festivals are non existent here. Drumroll please, you have:
- Short walking distances between the two main stages and silent disco area. Thank you feet gods.
- Organized transportation with huge buses shuttling festival goers back and forth consistently all day between the city and the island (AND shuttle rides are included in the price of your festival ticket)
- No overlapping set times! You won’t have to make ANY tough decisions!
- Great weather as San Francisco is usually coming off its Indian Summer in October and the weather is SPLENDID.
- Quick food and drink lines to keep you refueled.
- TONS of bathrooms. Hallelujah.
- A minimal amount of completely tricked-out people in festival fashion just there to sport the style (don’t worry, I still love you Coachella).
And to top it all off? The most important part: Fantastic music acts. The festival organizers purposefully organize artists that are similar on each day, making one lineup more electronic/rap focused and the other more rock/indie music. This year our crew had the pleasure of attending Saturday of the festival and had a fabulous time for the reasons I mentioned above, and more. Highlights included the upbeat, groovy jams and energetic voices from Gorgon City that propelled us into a massive dance party, the deep, dirty, stomp-the-ground beats from Hudson Mohawke, and the spine-crawling builds and entrancing lazers from deadmau5. If you have not heard these artists, or any of the groups mentioned at the beginning, make it your mission to get familiar now and find them at a festival or concert near you.
CRAVE: Gorgon City’s entire set. Again. x 6.
Energetic crowds at Treasure Island
Gorgon City crushing it
Cashmere Cat at sundown
And there goes the sun…
Dusk at the Silent Disco
Deadmau5 closing it out
Listen to more Gorgon City on their Soundcloud page here.
Find out more about Treasure Island Music Festival on their website here.